The review of our working during 2018-2019:
Stalls and Events
- Worked with Louise Haigh MP to support the Plastic Pollution Bil.
- Planned a screening of “A Plastic Ocean” film with Festival of Debate.
- Met with 65th Ecclesall Brownies for a talk and some activities raising awareness about the huge problem plastic waste.
- Gave a plastics talk and activities with Year 4 pupils at Rivelin school.
- Tried to organise a beach clean-up with The Deep in Hull but they didn’t want to work with groups.
- Promoting the FoE plastics petition.
- Written to supermarkets and shops about reducing packaging and plastic waste.
- Contacted the council about local changes to recycling.
- Contacted tetra pak regarding the lack of recycling facilities in Sheffield.
|Members of Sheffield Friends of the earth with Louise Haigh MP
- Involved in publicity for the Clean Air Zone.
- Graham has been building monitoring kits and has events planned for making more.
- Involved with the School Streets campaign.
- Richard has provided lessons with Year 5 students and a Clear Air school assembly.
- A FOI request was turned down by Sheffield City Council. Sheffield FoE worked with National FOE to pursue this.
- Worked with Client Earth.
- Individual members contributed to the Supertram consultation.
- Supported the action outside HSBC near Chesterfield Market.
- Supporting transport for a Peak District action planned for Mam Tor.
- Sharon Wilson a Texan anti-fracking activist addressed a meeting in Doncaster hosted by Friends of the Earth. Sheffield FoE attended.
- With Sheffield City Council we organised a talk by Dr Ian Fairlie and John Busby on the dangers of waste water and radioactivity associated with fracking.
- Helped with a Sheffield Against Fracking stall at Sheffield Fayre in Norfolk Park and at Ecclesfield Gala with Frack Free Ecclesfield and Chapeltown..
- Attend regional strategy meetings.
- Met with the local Labour Party chair and identified some appropriate GMB contacts to try and mobilise Labour activism against fracking.
- Supported other local anti-fracking groups financially and with campaigning.
- Sheffield FoE were in the local newspapers and on Look North regarding the Clear Air Zones.
- Sheffield FoE signed a Brexit letter in the Yorkshire Post explaining that a non deal was bad for the environment.
- We signed a letter to the Yorkshire Post about INEOS sponsoring cycling events.
- Gave a radio interview about our anti-fracking exhibition at Museums Sheffield.
- Helped many journalism students.
- Responded to the Green Journeys press release. As a result of this Hallam FM interviewed us for the main news bulletin which went out at drive time.
|Beatrice live on Look North talking about Clean Air Zones
Stalls and Events
- High Storrs Eco Expo.
- Peace and Craft fair stall.
- Sharrow Festival (7 July) and the Stannington Carnival (14 July):
- Went to base camp
- We distributed some leaflets and displayed our banner at the school strikes.
- Obtained new materials from national FoE including fracking and air pollution posters.
- MoveGB wanted us to promote their reusable bottles but it wasn’t possible for us to get involved.
- Publicised our meetings in Opus/Now then magazine.
- Christmas meal in the Red Deer and celebrating Richard's birthday.
- We met with Chloe Brown to participate in her Art video project by doing the “Wigan clap” in FoE and Clean Air t-shirts.
- Taken part in interviews by Ana Laranjeira from Imperial College London for Just Transition to a low-carbon economy project.
- Simon Bowens (national FoE) introduced some ideas for developing the local groups and asked for feedback from the group.
- Investigated the “Action Network” tool for creating petitions.
- Bristol FoE contacted us about trees and we put them in touch with STAG and the Green Party